Englishman in Tokyo

Please feel free to introduce yourself
About this forum
This is a new section and up until a "reshuffle" in January 2013 users told a little about themselves in context in posts (often in their first posts), or above as they told how they heard of Dalrymple. Now though, if you would like to say a little more please feel free to start a thread with any title you like.

Englishman in Tokyo

Postby Joseph » 26 Sep 2016, 07:16

Hello,
My name is Joseph, I'm a 44 year old Englishman (please note that I don't say "Brit") who, for his sins, has been living and working in Tokyo since 1997. I have a life story of epic proportions, but the gist of it is that at a British university I met, fell in love with, and married a Japanese girl back in 1996 and moved with her to Tokyo for job opportunities. At that time I was a raging one-world, no borders, pro globalisation, multi-culti liberal leftist, the future seemed bright and we were headed for a United Colors of Benetton world where nationality, race and culture would no longer matter. Yeah, I cringe when I look back on how deluded I was in my 20s... anyway, we have 3 children and I have been working for a large Japanese company for the last 10 years, and basically have a job for life at fairly decent wages. It is a cage, but a gilded one.

It took moving halfway across the world to a very different country and culture from what I was used to for me to wake up and smell the green tea. I realised that contrary to my 1980s/1990s liberal western upbringing, race, culture and one's own tribe really do still matter in this world and that when you are cut off from yours, you'll realise just how exposed you are.

I better cut this short lest I go on and on and on...suffice to say, the internet is my refuge and salvation these days, and I am very glad to have stumbled across this forum. As they say here, "dozo, yoroshiku onegai shimasu!"
Joseph

Re: Englishman in Tokyo

Postby Gavin » 26 Sep 2016, 14:28

Thanks for registering, Joseph. I also developed an interest in Japan in the early 2000s - partly because of exasperation with the scourge of militant feminism and ugliness here in the West.

I went out there a couple of times, the second time on my own for one month. I was only in Tokyo, though. It was like another world. I can see now, though, that Japan also suffers from its own problems. The Japanese are hardly procreating either, even though they have not inflicted upon themselves the terrible liability of mass unskilled Third World and Islamic immigration.

I met fellow forum member Keith not long ago and he's also in Japan. He has a thoughtful blog and you might be interested in getting in touch with him. I hope we will hear more about your perspective here, though, too.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Englishman in Tokyo

Postby Jonathan » 03 Oct 2016, 22:12

Hello Joseph, and welcome.

I dare say your biography does sound intriguing. I hope you won't feel too bashful about sharing your experiences, such as what brought you to change your perspective. There are a few such threads in the forum - including from another gentleman in the far east - which I found to be quite riveting. I cannot imagine it was easy to uproot yourself into another world, even if it was for the best of reasons.
Jonathan

Return to Introductions