Vindictive protectiveness

The state of education across the world

Vindictive protectiveness

Postby Ellen Jolly » 08 Sep 2015, 16:51

Somebody posted me a link to this article:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... nd/399356/

It is clearly written by someone who has an interest in selling Cognitive Behavioural Therapy sessions in the USA, and I wondered how much of it, if any, is a true reflection of what is going on in the Further Education Colleges of America.

If any of it is even half-way true, then it is quite alarming, particularly since Britain has a disconcerting habit of picking up trends from America.

If you can get the sack for posting a picture of your daughter on Facebook because her T-shirt has a slogan from Game of Thrones that could be interpreted as a veiled threat to your employer (fire = AK47?) then we really are living in an Orwellian world.
Ellen Jolly

Re: Vindictive protectiveness

Postby Jonathan » 08 Sep 2015, 20:37

I've read similar articles over the last year or so. Some of the examples in the one you quoted were familiar to me, some were not. On the whole, it seemed to describe the problem pretty well.

There was one aspect which might have deserved a few more words. He mentioned that college students were maturing in an environment where words were equated with violence, and the authorities were in charge of prosecuting anyone who said something offensive. In twenty or thirty years, these graduates will be the judges, lawmakers, and presidents of the USA. What will the country look like then?
Jonathan

Return to Education