Stephen Fry

Discussion of various public figures

Re: Stephen Fry

Postby Gavin » 11 Feb 2013, 21:46

Clearly we're not the only ones to have our doubts about Mr Fry. There's a whole article on the issue of his mock bashfulness and ubiquity, along with a load of comments, over at The Telegraph.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 11 Mar 2013, 14:14

I think, among the Right, Stephen Fry is just a busted flush. The Left still love him, and always will, because he represents everything they love. He's a posh guy who doesn't believe in poshness, a linguistically-gifted man who doesn't believe in good grammar, a rich man who despises the wealth-creators and believes in helping the poor etc. He is exactly like the archetypal middle-class leftist: advocating fluffy ideas for other people, fluffy ideas whose hellish consequence he personally will never suffer, yet he remains perpetually smug and self-satisfied.
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 11 Mar 2013, 14:44

What a great, incisive, summary of the man.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 06 Jun 2013, 00:31

Andrea wrote:The UK is saturated with him. I go to the London Library site, and they are talking about him. I look up at passing billboards, and his smug face is on it. I look under my cranberry juice glass at the pub and his face is on the coaster. You turn on the tv - and he's there on some quiz show or other. Then he had to ruin Horrible Histories by being the host. He was in that horrid V for Vendetta film... I was listening to the radio and he was on the BBC, so I switched to Classic FM and they were talking about him.

And yet apparently even all of that isn't enough attention for the man; he tried to kill himself last year! (Mind you, this revelation could be just another plea for attention.)
Elliott

Postby Martin » 11 Jul 2013, 19:14

One good point about Stephen Fry is that he hates that scourge of modern living, piped music or 'Muzac' as it is sometimes called. He is a patron of 'Pipedown' a UK organisation dedicated to stopping this assault on our ears!
Martin

Postby Gavin » 08 Aug 2013, 17:37

Screen Shot 2013-08-08 at 18.35.47.png

No problem with men being threatened on there then, presumably.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 08 Jun 2014, 09:37

He's even in the hit TV series 24 now, of course, playing the prime minister. You just can't escape from him.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Kevin R » 08 Jun 2014, 13:24

Elliott wrote:This is an example of what happens when you get rid of Christianity (or at least, some all-pervasive moral code).

Stephen Fry met Peter Hitchens at his (Hitchens) brother's memorial service. Later, Fry posted a disparaging tweet about Peter Hitchens:

The sad element was Peter Hitchens, though bro might have at least a 10th of the wit, charm & intelligence. Just a joyless Daily Mail clod.[/quote

Does anyone think it is a "good" thing to do, to publicly insult somebody after you just met them at their brother's memorial service?

No, it most definitely is not. It's a despicable and selfish form of point-scoring written in order to gain capital for himself amongst his acolytes at a time of sad reflection for Mr Hitchens. Anyone bothering to read Hitchens' journalism or books would know that he has never pretended that it should be incumbent upon himself to ingratiate his character, or soften his tone by use of perpetual humour. He does in fact have a sense-of-humour, but it is often dry and understated. He's more of a serious chap, and he has a heavy integrity which can occasionally come across as a little dour, but only to a world accustomed as it is to frivolity. There are too few of those sorts of men men these days. Those be-whiskered and serious men of yore would probably have sent Mr Fry into paroxysms of satire no doubt (and often have). But why would we want everyone to be a clown or a humourist? That is what gives the world dimension, that there are serious men who don't think life is an absurdity, or a joke. Polemics aside, Hitchens does have a good ear for poetry and often writes in an occasionally whimsical way about his memories of yesteryear or places he has known.

We can't all be Stephen Fry.. thank goodness. Indeed, can you imagine a world full of them?

Oh, I'm forgetting, we do have that now don't we..
Kevin R

Postby Kevin R » 11 Sep 2014, 12:01

Our great British polymath is at it again.. This time it's the milieu of the RAF in mid-wartime. Is there no end to his self-delusion?

Of all the literary folk blessed with a combination of historical insight and creative scripting ability, the producers could conjure up no-one better than Stephen Fry?!

http://blogs.artinfo.com/cuttingroom/20 ... ment-docs/
Kevin R

Postby Charlie » 02 Feb 2015, 19:55

Among my lefty acquaintances on Facebook, this article seems to be doing the rounds at the moment.

If you can’t be bothered to read the piece, it’s just Stephen Fry’s latest unpleasant, ignorant boutade.

The man's many acolytes seem rather pleased, smug and happy about it, though.
Charlie

Postby Kevin R » 03 Feb 2015, 17:41

Charlie wrote:
The man's many acolytes seem rather pleased, smug and happy about it, though.

With that magnitude of approbabtion and infallibility he could soon be the head of his own church.

'Ecce homo.'
Kevin R

Postby Mike » 04 Feb 2015, 08:45

Another cheap cheer from the fellow luvvies. You've got to hand it to him, he's an absolute master at pushing the buttons of the like-minded.
Mike

Previous

Return to Public Figures