Dominique Venner

Discussion of various public figures

Dominique Venner

Postby Gavin » 17 Sep 2013, 15:35

Something that Julian, new to the forum, told me about recently is the case of Dominique Venner. His story was reported only fleetingly and inaccurately in the MSM and, no doubt as an intended consequence, it is one that had passed me by.

Frenchman Venner was a noted conservative historian. He became so disillusioned with the self-destruction of the West that he decided to make a symbolic act of protest. On 21st May this year he entered a place he much admired, Notre Dame cathedral in Paris, walked up the altar and killed - or sacrificed - himself.

The MSM reported this as a "far-right" person protesting about gay marriage, but it seems to have been deeper than that. Apparently Venner despaired. He said in his suicide note:

"I protest against poisons of the soul and the desires of invasive individuals to destroy the anchors of our identity, including the family, the intimate basis of our multi-millennial civilization. While I defend the identity of all peoples in their homes, I also rebel against the crime of the replacement of our people."

I am not sure this was either the most tasteful or the most effective thing to do, but it struck me as certainly significant: somebody - a learned person - committing suicide because of their despair over liberalism and multiculturalism. Marine Le Pen tweeted:

"All respect to Dominique Venner whose final, eminently political act was to try to wake up the people of France.

It is in life and hope that France will renew and save itself."

On the same site I referenced earlier (about which I know little) is a tribute to Mr Venner.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Public Figures