The vulgarity of the British

Examples of social decline, especially in the UK

Re: The vulgarity of the British

Postby Andy JS » 21 Apr 2015, 02:55

Although the presentation style is rather downmarket and "trashy", I'm finding the BBC3 series "The World's Strictest Parents" to be compelling viewing, simply because it presents an unvarnished view of just how badly-parented and brought up many young British people today have been. (The series was shown a couple of years ago but is available on YouTube).

For example, this episode features a middle-class teenage girl from south west England and a working-class teenage boy from Hull who spend time with a family in Barbados that are probably just a typical Bajan family but whom the English teenagers find to be unbearably strict. I wouldn't usually watch this type of TV show but I think this series does a pretty good job of showcasing the culture clash between traditional parenting (which happily appears to still be alive and well in many former British colonies) and the sort of poor parenting that often exists in Britain today. Although their behaviour and attitudes are initially appalling, one usually ends up feeling a bit sorry for the teenagers nonetheless because it's obviously not their fault that their upbringing hasn't been all that it might have been. Personally I suspect that British schools, with their absence of discipline, are just as much to blame as the parents.
Andy JS

Postby Andy JS » 05 Sep 2016, 20:24

I wasn't quite sure which thread to post this comment in because, although I think it's an example of social decay, it doesn't quite fit into any of the sub-topics. I've decided to put it in this one although perhaps the "Collapse of Formality" might have been another place I could have posted it.

It's a trivial example but, for me, it somehow seems indicative of many of the negative changes that have happened in the last few years in the UK.

About a week ago my father and I decided to go swimming at a local country club where we are members. As we were about to enter the pool, the situation was that there were three other people already there: a girl of about eight years old and what I assume were her parents. None of them were swimming or attempting to swim: they were simply standing there playing a game of throwing a frisbee from one side of the pool to the other, across the natural path of anyone wanting to swim lengths in the pool. On one side was the girl, and on the other side the father. The mother was watching, and filming them using a smartphone.

When we entered the pool, none of them made the slightest attempt to change or modify their behaviour. They simply continued to play their game, throwing a frisbee from one side of the pool to the other. It was as if we'd never arrived. We started swimming, but it was a pretty unpleasant experience because of the frisbee being thrown at a fairly high speed from one side of the pool to the other. I even swam under water at one point to make sure I wasn't going to be accidentally hit by it, because quite often the frisbee went "off target". (I should mention that, technically speaking, they weren't breaking any rules because it wasn't yet 7:30pm when games in the pool are explicitly banned, it was about an hour earlier). For various reasons, I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation with the other people, mainly because we'd come to the pool in order to relax and having an argument with them — which I'm pretty sure is what would have happened — would have ruined any attempt at relaxation. There was also a person in charge of the swimming pool who sat at a desk by the entrance, but unfortunately he was a new employee and looked as if he was rather disinterested in the job, since he was constantly on the phone to someone. (The other people had probably noted this fact when deciding to behave as they did). The previous person who worked there would, I think, probably have asked the people playing the game to stop as soon as we'd entered the pool since he was a much more assertive person, but unfortunately he'd left the previous week.

Now I'm pretty sure that at any time until about ten years ago what would have happened would have been something like this: as soon as anyone, even just one person, arrived in order to start swimming, which after all is the main purpose of the pool, the people playing a game would have either stopped playing their game altogether or would have played it in such a way as to not make it unpleasant for people who wanted to actually swim. They would have done this without having to be asked or cajoled by either the swimmers or by the person in charge of the swimming pool. They would have recognised that although (a) there were three of them and only two of us, and (b) they were already in the pool before we arrived, the main purpose of the pool was for swimming and not playing games. They would also have recognised that although playing the sort of game they were playing was acceptable when they were the only people in the pool and therefore not bothering anyone else (since the time when games were banned hadn't yet been reached), as soon as anyone — even one person — entered the pool in order to actually start swimming, that they would have to stop playing their game or play it in a less intrusive way. They would have done this out of common courtesy and from wanting to behave in a civilised way in those circumstances. Maybe children would have had to be asked to stop playing, but adults wouldn't have needed to be asked: they would have just done it automatically.

The problem in this situation was that from what you might call a "legalistic" or "technical" point of view, they were in the right. To begin with, they were there first. Secondly, there were more of them than there were of us: if a "democratic vote" had been held, they would have won by three to two, (assuming the child had been able to vote, which I assume she would). Thirdly, the time when games are banned in the swimming pool hadn't yet been reached. On the other hand, all of the arguments in our favour were based on non-legalistic concepts such as common courtesy, civilised behaviour, custom, politeness, friendliness, etc.

Most of the time they were glancing at us in a slightly amused way, as if to say "are you going to dare to attempt to stop us playing our game?" What I found particularly disturbing was the bad example the parents were setting to the child, and the fact that the parents didn't look like members of the underclass: in fact they looked quite respectable. When I first entered the pool I was fairly confident that they were going to stop playing the game within a few minutes of us arriving. In fact, they were still playing the game, in exactly the same way, about 20 minutes later when we left.

The main point is that even if twenty people were playing a game, and one person was trying to swim, the polite thing would be for the person swimming to take precedence since that's the main purpose of the swimming pool. I know that this is what my family and most other people would have taken for granted about 20 years ago. In fact I remember playing games in swimming pools at that time and just automatically stopping when anyone arrived to start swimming. There wasn't any sort of discussion about it, it was just assumed by everyone to be the right thing to do.

Although, as I say, it's a rather trivial example in itself, I think it's the sort of thing that is becoming more and more common in lots of other situations in the UK over the last few years.
Andy JS

Postby Gavin » 05 Sep 2016, 22:10

Very interesting post and - although shocking - surely a typical example of the inconsiderate and selfish behaviour which can be observed as the norm in many social spaces today. The most frustrating thing is that there is not even any recourse to authority any more.

My wife and I recently moved to the countryside, and the main motivation for us moving was the inconsiderate behaviour of our next-door neighbours. He was a white Leftist who worked at the BBC and she was an Indian migrant with a Scouse accent, frequently visited by her entire extended family (very loud). She had also recently had a baby (with him) and despite being repeatedly asked (something you can't always even risk doing) they made no effort whatsoever to keep noise down. The baby was actually the quietest of the lot. So to cut a long story short, we moved - forced out.

The singular priority in our move was "peace and quiet". We have decided you can't really risk having neighbours at all now (sadly) so we chose a detached house in a small village in the countryside. After a while it became apparent that, despite all appearances, we are surrounded!

• House being built nearby: metal and brick saws on the go quite often
  • Log sawing at a farm next door several times a week
  • Construction project opposite - a building being extended (hammering)
  • Council houses nearby: usual thuggish types inhabiting - loud "music", shouting etc., often played out of their expensive Audi car (yes, no problem affording the car)
  • House of "petrolheads" very nearby: 4 cars, two motorbikes - very loud, often left running pointlessly on the drive for long periods. Pressure washers used on these cars frequently, music played etc.

Yep, this is in a "sleepy village" in the countryside.

The problem, I often think, is that if these people are inconsiderate enough to do these things in the first place, then they are hardly likely to take kindly to being asked to refrain. Therefore unless they are actually breaking the law (or even if they are), we are very much stuck. There has been a breakdown of social order, with decent people on the run now, and it's hard to know what can be done.

I thought the white race was supposed to be "superior"?
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Andrea » 05 Sep 2016, 23:29

I thought the white race was supposed to be "superior"?

In terms of achievement as a whole, yes, by and large, those from the white race have done well. This is a topic that I find myself getting annoyed with when I hear "Alt Right" people discussing topics, so I apologise in advance if this seems emotional (but, needless to say, I am a woman and am thus inclined towards that kind of argument).

These people (conveniently for them) tend to ignore the fact that there are lots of scummy white people who are useless, incapable of decent behaviour, and prone to indulging in amoral activities. What, pray, is so good about that? Nothing. I have also heard some on the Alt-Right excuse this by saying, "Oh, well, they're 'our' thugs" - erm, what horrible nonsense. Thuggish, immoral behaviour is part of the problem. Excuses for bad and inconsiderate behaviour (such as that which Andy JS described) cannot be accepted. Unstable civilisation = collapse of civilised, courteous behaviour. Colonization never happens in a strong and stable civilisation, as is evident throughout history. In order to have any chance of saving one's cultural identity, one's people need to be as upstanding as possible.

I'm rather sick and tired of these proud white people who use foul language, drink to excess, smoke, don't maintain their property, don't take a pride in their appearance, and sit complaining about other people because they themselves have made poor choices in life. If people truly want this Alt-Right "movement" to be successful, they need to shape up and be the most decent people they can be - in all areas of their lives.
Andrea

Previous

Return to Social Decay