TD in Australia

Dalrymple sometimes gives interviews and speaks publicly

TD in Australia

Postby Mike » 18 Apr 2016, 11:18

The good doctor has been in my neck of the woods recently as a guest of the Centre for Independent Studies, making a number of appearances in the media (for which see here, but ignore the out-of-date attempts at Australian vernacular), and giving a few speeches. I've just returned from his talk in Sydney, at which he was in fine form: entertaining, warm and informative. I was delighted to have the chance to speak to the man briefly afterwards, to say how much I'd enjoyed his books and articles over the years. (For some reason he picked my accent as South African - I'm still trying to determine why!)

Don't think there are any Queenslanders on this board, but just in case, he is speaking in Brisbane in a few days' time.
Mike

Re: TD in Australia

Postby Kevin R » 18 Apr 2016, 13:13

'Bogan'.. not come across that one before!

Just wondering.. did you get the opportunity to mention this forum?
Kevin R

Postby Mike » 18 Apr 2016, 23:04

Kevin R wrote:'Bogan'.. not come across that one before!

Actually that one is about the only one of those which is still in common use! I'm pretty sure no-one here has said "sheila" or "telly" for about 20 years.

Just wondering.. did you get the opportunity to mention this forum?

Nope - I was only able to have a very quick chat (along with several others) while he was being violently ushered over to the book-signing area.
Mike

Postby Jonathan » 19 Apr 2016, 18:45

I'm quite envious of you, Mike!

Were there many people waiting to have their books signed?
Jonathan

Postby Mike » 20 Apr 2016, 03:42

Jonathan wrote:Were there many people waiting to have their books signed?

A fair few. I'd say there were about 500 or so at the talk. Mostly in the over-60 bracket, but a few youngsters. Not many in between like me...!

Correction, by the way: it's in Melbourne that he's giving the talk tomorrow night, not Brisbane.
Mike

Return to Media appearances