Dangerous Dynasties and Blood Ties (2013)

Dalrymple sometimes gives interviews and speaks publicly

Dangerous Dynasties and Blood Ties (2013)

Postby Gavin » 06 Mar 2013, 16:20

TD participates in this recent debate on inherited wealth and meritocracy, making some of his core points. He takes the common sense position that children should be far better taught, but this will never result in exact "equality". He also points out that it is only human to favour one's own children, that the wish to provide for them can motivate achievement, that complete equality would be a ghastly thing, and he explains the rational grounds for some degree of nepotism. Most of us on here will be familiar with all of these arguments.

As others have said on the forum, I generally quite like Mr Tatchell - I think he is at least genuinely well meaning (unlike many on the left who are self seeking) and made some good points, although he goes further than I would in his belief in the ideal and the desirability of egalitarianism. He is also prone to being in the position of still "fighting" battles that have been won too. Who cares if people are gay now? Okay, we get the message, we accept it! It doesn't mean we're going to "celebrate" it! Nor, probably, should the gay people.

(I can use the disclaimer here that "one of my best friends is gay" - because he actually is. He's against the idea of idea of gay marriage - fed up with hearing about it. He doesn't "define himself" by his sexuality, he just gets on with his life. That's probably why we get on so well. That and he's a very nice guy with a good sense of humour.)

I found it refreshing to see a reasonable amount of agreement between parties here for once, or - at least - calm and civilised discussion. They call this the broadcaster's nightmare, but it's good for the rest of us. The chairman, Muslim Samira Ahmed, didn't seem very familiar with Dalrymple - I dare say she hadn't read any of his books. In my opinion, because these were all civilised people this discussion could have taken place perfectly well without her present, but she didn't ruin it.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Dangerous Dynasties and Blood Ties (2013)

Postby Gavin » 20 Mar 2013, 18:30

Please note I have now unlocked this forum for contributions (it shouldn't have been locked). So feel free to join in.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Dangerous Dynasties and Blood Ties (2013)

Postby Caleb » 22 Mar 2013, 23:59

I liked Mr Tatchell also. I wouldn't go as far as he would, but I think he made some good points and he really does seem genuine (I read the Wikipedia page on him). I'm not so sure that he is still fighting battles that have already been won. Some of them haven't fully, or are in real danger of being turned around. He is a very strong critic of radical Islam with respect to homosexuality, for instance, and he seems to be one of the precious few on the left who makes the obvious point about just how totalitarian Islam is.

I actually found Edward Mortimer the least appealling of the three. He seemed to be grossly naive of just how bad it is out there. When Dalrymple was discussing how you can't write honest assessments of patients, Mortimer's response was ludicrously naive.
Caleb

Return to Media appearances