Welfare reform

Thoughts on the welfare state and the British underclass

Welfare reform

Postby Gavin » 02 Apr 2013, 17:15

Incredibly, George Osborne today made a speech that could have been from TD himself. Thank goodness: it has been a very long time coming.

"For too long, we've had a system where people who did the right thing - who get up in the morning and work hard - felt penalised for it, while people who did the wrong thing got rewarded for it. That's wrong. So this month we're going to put things right. This month, around nine out of 10 working households will be better off as a result of the changes we are making. This month we will make work pay.

Now, those who defend the current benefit system are going to complain loudly. These vested interests always complain, with depressingly predictable outrage, about every change to a system which is failing. I want to take the argument to them. Because defending every line item of welfare spending isn't credible in the current economic environment. Because defending benefits that trap people in poverty and penalise work is defending the indefensible."

This is great, in my view. It might put an end to the appalling abuse of benefits by "career claimants". So 170,000 people have signed some petition against IDS. Who cares? That's not actually many people considering there were 5.7 million benefits claimants last year. The government should be helping entrepreneurs, removing red tape, and yes, clamping down on benefits. This is a start. Enough to get the Conservatives taken seriously? No, not by a long way, but at least, for once, not a backward step.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Welfare reform

Postby Gavin » 06 Apr 2013, 01:41

George Osborne recently remarked that the welfare state should not be supporting the disgusting lifestyle of people like Mick Philpott. Good for him! It wasn't long before leading Labour figures started shamelessly levelling transparent straw man arguments against him.

The issue is discussed by leftist Tom Chivers here. I haven't read his article but I read the top comment, which was great:

alexswanson wrote:I think the main point being made by people on the Right is not necessarily that Philpott would have been a good person if he hadn't been on welfare, but that the welfare system supported and in a sense legitimised his utterly selfish lifestyle, in a way that should never have been allowed.

More generally, many on the Right are frustrated and angered by the Left's constant claims of total moral and intellectual perfection, such that even the slightest criticism of the welfare state - or the NHS, or comprehensive education, or the BBC ; is met with torrents of bullying abuse intended to shut down any debate even before it happens. Examples such as Philpott show that this claim of perfection is far from justified.

Are leftists just stupid, or are they conniving? In any case, we must try to put more in the Moral Guilt of the Left thread...
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Welfare & the Underclass