Intelligence Squared Debate: The War on Drugs

Dalrymple sometimes gives interviews and speaks publicly

Re: Intelligence Squared Debate: The War on Drugs

Postby Gavin » 25 Apr 2012, 11:19

I saw that, luckily without audio, on the TV last night. He was contorting his face and waving his arms and seemed to be wearing a moth-eaten vest. I cannot think why anybody would ask his opinion on anything, especially before Dalrymple's.

Actually, by rights he should not even be famous - he doesn't seem to have any particular talent. And yet, sadly, even in the Daily Mail, the comments are mostly in praise of him.

Okay, I just watched the video. I could hardly watch it to the end, but luckily it was short. Brand seemed to be like a silly schoolboy, totally disrespecting the proceedings. I dare say his nine-year-old fans outside are better behaved than him, despite him.

I hope Dalrymple writes (another) article putting Brand in his place, but maybe he doesn't consider him important enough. The trouble is, if you publicly criticise someone like Brand (or Fry) you've got an army of about a million of their "followers" all ready to start issuing abuse. That's one of the reasons I respect Peter Hitchens - because he speaks out anyway.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Damo » 28 Apr 2012, 14:32

Yet he seemed to lack even the smallest insight into the role celebrities like him have in promoting the culture that encourages so many impressionable young people to experiment with drugs in the first place.

Among all his posturing and wisecracks, there was no hint of responsibility, still less of shame or contrition. But then what else would you expect from such an odious creep?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/artic ... z1tLUVAvG2
Damo

Postby Gavin » 11 May 2012, 17:40

Peter Hitchens reports on his experience with Mr Brand (there's a bonus mention of Fry here too).
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Michael » 11 May 2012, 19:19

Thanks for the link to the Hitchens' post, Gavin. I particularly liked this line:

And, like Mr Brand, they claim that drug ‘addicts’ are cruelly punished by the system, when in fact these deliberate, selfish, pleasure-seeking criminals are idiotically treated as if they were ill.

Nicely said.
Michael

Postby Gavin » 11 May 2012, 20:12

You're welcome. I quite liked this line too:

But in our superficial culture, it was Mr Brand (author of My Booky Wook and Booky Wook 2) who featured in the newspapers...

I wonder how prominently these opuses will feature in the English canon in years to come. They've sold a lot of copies, but then Young Money have sold a lot of records too.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Andrew » 12 Jul 2013, 05:02

Hello all, I am new here from USA about forty miles west of Detroit Mich.I am a recovering drug addict. I am active in twelve step recovery. I have been drug free over twenty-two years.

I find Dr. Daniels and by extension the sentiment of this forum interesting regarding drug addiction. In fact I agree with much of that sentiment. Where I likely depart is in how the addict stops using drugs.

My question is this: what difference does it make to any of us how one decides to change and I mean profoundly change as long as that change is sincere and long term? I viewed a youtube of Dr.Daniels in which he was fairly dismissive of twelve step groups. However he did say he did not discourage attendance. I believe that many of the ideas he suggests for his addicted patients are in direct accordance with the tenets of the twelve steps.

I
Andrew

Previous

Return to Media appearances