Twitter account

About this site and what you need to know

Twitter account

Postby Gavin » 27 Oct 2013, 18:45

Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 20.15.19.png

Hi everyone! I have quite often taken screenshots of tweets to make points on this forum and will continue to do so. Twitter has become undeniably influential despite most tweets leaving a great deal to be desired intellectually.

Sometimes I want to add selected people on Twitter, keep up with them and let them know about the excellent writing on this site. I don't necessarily want to add them under my personal account, which I use mainly for work.

So, in order to better promote the site, our general views, and of course Dalrymple, and to be able to add such people, I've opened a TD Forum Twitter account! A long time coming. This account will not replace the forum in any sense. This forum allows extended and considered reflection on important matters that affect the quality of our daily lives and I am very proud of the contributions that have been made. Quality control will remain high.

However, when I want to make brief points or draw attention to matters, I might use the Twitter feed, and as I say, it is for adding people and letting them know that there is "somewhere to go". Feel free to check it out and even follow the account if you use Twitter. I will probably not "@" too many superficial people on there because I do not want to have to spend time blocking them all, but I hope to attract some of the more considerable intellects (for example Fjordman) and they can see what we've created here. Many thanks.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Twitter account

Postby Elliott » 28 Oct 2013, 05:35

That does sound like a good idea!
Elliott

Postby Gavin » 08 Nov 2013, 11:34

I've decided to display the Twitter feed on the left here. It's looks a bit dominant at first but will seem less so soon. I'm tweeting a variety of content, from links to TD's work, to relevant news, to pointers to threads here. Generally not retweeting offensive material from militant Muslims etc. as I'm not particularly interested in having them come here. Check it out, and those we're following, anyway. I am not sure how often I will update it but hope you find this a useful addition to the site - it might even inspire more threads and comments.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Nathan » 08 Nov 2013, 11:54

Good idea! Has the Twitter feed generated more traffic for the site yet, do you know?
Nathan

Postby Gavin » 08 Nov 2013, 12:24

No, it doesn't seem to have generated any more as yet. It's been pretty constant recently really on only about 200 unique visitors per day. Shows how many in Britain care out the plight of society, I guess, thus proving us correct. A lot more will be watching "Britain's Got Talent".
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 11 Apr 2014, 08:30

Some of the tweets have been really interesting. Here is a thread for discussing them.
What really caught my eye was the trweet about Sid Vicious, member of the "Sex Pistols", who was suspicious of killing his girl-friend. He did not convicted but also did not get cleared.

Well... I did not know that before... but I think it is very telling and shocking that he still can be so mainstream... I know 50-sometings teachers and social workers, who wear "Sid Vicious"-Shirts.

How comes some people seem not to care about a murder if only the possible perp is one of the "cool guys".

I think that this is really shocking and shows that the generation who is supposed to be older and wiser than us is not.

There is a Valentine's "Simpsons" episode ("Love, Springfieldian Style") which deals with the love of Nancy Spungen (the murder victim, Lisa) and Sid (Nelson), the murder is not mentioned and drugs are chocolates in the episode. Liking the Simpsons I think that this is very sad.
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 11 Apr 2014, 11:27

I welcome discussion of the tweets and am glad they are of interest! But it might be best if you take up each in its appropriate topic on the forum.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Yessica » 11 Apr 2014, 11:30

Okay, no problem. Let me think about where I might put that best.

Edit. May be "Toxic sentimentality"? Good fit?
Yessica

Postby Gavin » 06 Jan 2015, 21:11

I'm glad you're all appreciating the Twitter feed. Please feel free to comment on it at any time. I am mainly posting there, but the forum is here for everyone to use and I'm always interested to read contributions.

On the feed I usually just point to news articles, but bias is unavoidable and I hope it is a bias that generally catches the opinion of most forum users. At the least it will stimulate discussion and it promotes the conservative viewpoint on the "Twittersphere"!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 20 Apr 2015, 17:54

Please note I usually do not tweet about instances of jihad outside the UK, but restrict myself to mentioning those occurring domestically or only in the western world. This is firstly for practical reasons: there is just so much jihad that there isn't time to keep up.

It is also because I think jihad is to be expected in (more) Islamic countries. It is when Muslims are getting out of control in the West that I think we really have a very serious problem - holes in the boat - so I tweet these incidents only, believing there is no place for Islam in the modern, relatively civilised, western world.

I also do not use the word "traitors" when referring to Muslims, because they are not traitors to the UK, but loyal to Islam. Nor do I use the phrase "British Muslim", because I am of the opinion that Islam is alien to traditional British culture and values.
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to Essential Reading