Mentions of Dalrymple

One of the greatest writers living today

Mentions of Dalrymple

Postby Gavin » 15 Mar 2013, 21:07

Dalrymple is quoted in this latest article by Ed West, on which comments have been disabled.
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Mentions of Dalrymple

Postby Gavin » 18 Apr 2013, 14:12

Really weird article over on this blog, making me wonder if it's been hacked?!
I wrote to "Mumu" the other day telling him about us - no reply.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 18 Apr 2013, 16:14

It'll be interesting to see how that develops. Definitely looks like a hack to me.
Elliott

Postby Tom » 18 Apr 2013, 17:57

If we are referring to the same article, starting 'The London School of Economics, friend of the late Muammar Gaddafi', then I believe I detect within it the dry wit of Dr Daniels himself.
Tom

Postby Gavin » 18 Apr 2013, 22:46

I doubt it, Tom. I've asked who it is anyway. If I get any significant info will report back. It was certainly a pretty weird blog entry (second half).
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Tom » 19 Apr 2013, 11:53

I read the article as a rather well done parody of an apologist for North Korea, and I suspect that the opinions expressed were tongue-in-cheek. An important technique of parody is to exagerate the target's opinions so they become ridiculous, and this ridiculousness can be used to recognise that an article is, in fact, a parody. Unfortunately, however much you try to exagerate the opinions of such an apologist, it is all too believable that they would hold them. The ambiguity is worsened because whoever wrote the article has a fine ear for marxist terminology.
I think the article exhibits more knowledge of TD's writing than would normally be possessed by someone who didn't appreciate it, but I agree that this isn't conclusive.
Tom

Postby Gavin » 19 Apr 2013, 13:12

Yes, I think it was just a parody by the author. That didn't really come across clearly enough to me though - as you say, some realities are beyond parody now. The author is not TD, but I didn't get much more info as to who it is. Anyway, the more sites promoting TD's work, the better!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 21 Apr 2013, 10:15

Tom wrote:An important technique of parody is to exagerate the target's opinions so they become ridiculous, and this ridiculousness can be used to recognise that an article is, in fact, a parody.

I think the author deliberately wanted the beginning to be ambiguous. If you start by reading the end of the article, you'll have no doubt that it's intended to be satire, but the beginning isn't so clear.
Jonathan

Return to Theodore Dalrymple