Dalrymple quotations

One of the greatest writers living today

Dalrymple quotations

Postby Gavin » 01 Aug 2011, 23:12

There seems no better place for them than here, so please add any you particularly like below. Let us start with:

"No duty is ever more joyfully entered into than that of doing harm to others in the name of good."

Unsealing the Confessional, Salisbury Review, 2011
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: Dalrymple quotations

Postby Paul » 02 Aug 2011, 11:40

I like:

"Adolescents are precociously adult. Adults are permenantly adolescent."
Paul

Postby Elliott » 02 Aug 2011, 14:08

"It is often, perhaps usually, more important to remind people of old truths than to introduce them to new ones."
Elliott

Postby Rachel » 03 Aug 2011, 10:28

Can't think of a good one at the moment. One that comes to mind is about the housing estates in Britain:

"Do pigs make sties, or do sties make pigs?"

From the chapter of the same name in Life at the Bottom
Rachel

Postby Gavin » 04 Aug 2011, 09:19

"It is the mind, not society, that forges the manacles that keep people chained to their misfortunes."

Spoilt Rotten, pg 227
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 04 Aug 2011, 09:29

"To fail to recognise, or to pretend to fail to recognise, football's relatively lowly place on the scale of human accomplishment is to be uncivilised – or, in the case of the dissimulator, to ally oneself with enemies of civilisation, which is perhaps yet worse."

Football and the World Cup
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 04 Aug 2011, 09:55

"Islamists are political entrepreneurs with a plausible doctrinal reason for violence. They are now able to extract from society the kind of respect that street muggers demand, and multiculturalism has become the ideological wing of sheer cowardice."

Modernists in Medieval Clothing
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Jonathan » 08 Aug 2011, 05:51

"...the sweet dream of universal cultural compatibility has been replaced, in a single day, by the nightmare of permanent conflict."

The Suicide Bombers Among Us
Jonathan

Postby Simone » 08 Aug 2011, 08:25

Psychobabble, that peculiar language that allows people to talk about themselves without revealing anything, and which is a symptom of self-obsession unaccompanied by self-examination.
- The New Vichy Syndrome, p. 23
Simone

Postby Simone » 08 Aug 2011, 08:33

Great Britain is now specializing in the breeding up of charmless drunken screaming vulgarians.
- The New Vichy Syndrome, p. 83
Simone

Postby Michael » 08 Aug 2011, 17:28

"It might be argued, of course, that such obviously wrongful behavior has occurred always: for when it comes to sexual misdemeanor there is nothing new under the sun, and history shows plentiful examples of almost any perversion or dishonorable conduct. But this is the first time in history there has been mass denial that sexual relations are a proper subject of moral reflection or need to be governed by moral restrictions."

-All Sex All The Time

-http://www.city-journal.org/html/10_3_urbanities-all_sex.html
Michael

Postby Constantine » 09 Aug 2011, 17:47

Their sorrows are the consequence of their enjoyments

To disguise from people their own contribution to their situation actually keeps them in that situation

When every benefit received is a right there is no place for good manners let alone gratitude

In general, a life of assumed abundance is one of ingratitude; one is not grateful for anything that could be no different from how it is. So perhaps when my mother told me that I should think of the children in Africa who did not have enough to eat, and eat up what was on my plate, she was not so much trying to benefit the children in Africa, as to benefit me: to make me grateful, and not to take for granted what, in fact, would almost certainly always be there, namely an ample sufficiency. Without gratitude, there is no happiness

If you empty the world of purpose, make it one of brute fact alone, you empty it (for many people, at any rate) of reasons for gratitude, and a sense of gratitude is necessary for both happiness and decency. For what can soon, and all too easily, replace gratitude is a sense of entitlement. Without gratitude, it is hard to appreciate, or be satisfied with, what you have: and life will become an existential shopping spree that no product satisfies

Resentment is fundamentally egotistical

Feeling good about yourself is not the same as doing good

An attitude characterised by gratefulness and having obligations towards others has been replaced—with awful consequences—by an awareness of rights and a sense of entitlement. This leads to resentment as the rights become violated by parents, authorities, bureaucracies and others in general
Constantine

Postby Michael » 14 Aug 2011, 14:44

I don’t hate religion, in fact I am rather in favour of it; I am like Gibbon, who said admiringly of Roman religious syncretism that the people believed that all religions were equally true, that the philosophers believed them all equally false, and that the magistrates believed them all equally useful, without any of them coming into conflict over the matter. Religion was useful, that is, from the point of view of improving human behaviour and keeping it lawful.
Michael

Postby Gavin » 03 Oct 2011, 17:36

"Where two pieties—feminism and multiculturalism—come into conflict, the only way of preserving both is an indecent silence."

When Islam Breaks Down
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 04 Oct 2011, 20:55

[Of Paul Hollander] "He sees a whole world in a grain of sand, while there are all too many of us who do not see a grain of sand even in a whole world."

Of Love, etc.
Gavin
Site Admin

Next

Return to Theodore Dalrymple