Dalrymple quotations

One of the greatest writers living today

Re: Dalrymple quotations

Postby Gavin » 10 Jan 2013, 02:34

Yes, indeed. I read that too. He's brief and careful when he does write about it, and generally just points out such double standards, which I think is the right way to go.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » 10 Jan 2013, 03:57

I also liked that quote on racism.

Damo wrote:''I sometimes astonish my patients by telling them that it is far more important that they should be able to lose themselves than that they should be able to find themselves. For it is only in losing oneself that one does find oneself''

What does Mr Dalrymple mean when he speaks about losing oneself? Does he mean throwing yourself into your work or family life or study?

Maybe he means that it is more important finding an interest that really absorbs you, or throwing yourself into helping people or into some pastime.
I also wondered about that. I'm not sure what he really meant.
Rachel

Postby Gavin » 04 Apr 2013, 22:31

"There is very little more appalling than great skill in the service of bad taste and barbarism."

Exposing Shallowness
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 05 Apr 2013, 00:38

"The fate of all people who imitate others to achieve authenticity is to live a lie."

Exposing Shallowness
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 26 Jul 2013, 14:07

"A loss of privacy means a loss of intimacy; and a loss of intimacy means a loss of depth. There is, in fact, no better way to produce shallow and superficial people than to let them live their lives entirely in the open, without concealment of anything."

All Sex All the Time

"The story was headlined ‘Threat to put cat’s head through door.’ I knew at once, without having to read further, that it was a love story – of a kind."

A Program of Integrated Frivolity
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 16 Feb 2014, 10:33

"While it is unwise to always judge a person by his or her face, it is even more foolish never to do so. A person’s appearance is at least as trustworthy a guide to his character as his words, especially when his stock in trade is words."

- From Triumph of the Mediocre - an essay that would be outstandingly perceptive from most writers but is standard fare from TD!
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 22 Feb 2014, 18:39

"His job was too lucrative to be sacrificed to mere principle: to expect him to speak the truth rather than mouth the expedient (to his career, that is) would be like expecting truth in advertisements."

Bureaucratic looting continues in the NHS
Gavin
Site Admin

Previous

Return to Theodore Dalrymple