Dalrymple quotations

One of the greatest writers living today

Re: Dalrymple quotations

Postby Gavin » 14 Jan 2012, 18:43

"[Football] is to the uneducated of this country what the City and the media are to the educated."

- Evra, Suarez and Racism on the Football Pitch (2012)
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Elliott » 12 Feb 2012, 18:38

Elliott

Postby Gavin » 04 Mar 2012, 00:07

"Everywhere is interesting."

Perhaps you, like me, often find yourself reflecting on the smallest details of your surroundings, while others seem oblivious.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 10 Apr 2012, 21:32

"In the bed next to his was a young woman with lime-green hair and a black eye. She also had a ring through her nose – I dare say that, had I asked, she would have told me she was easily led."

- How Terrible It Must Be To Live In Switzerland, Second Opinion
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 14 Apr 2012, 11:58

"One of the terrible fates that can befall a human being is to be born intelligent or sensitive in an English slum."

- Lost in the Ghetto (2000)
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Damo » 17 Apr 2012, 11:43

"Information without prespective is a higher form of ignorance"

Mass Listeria.
Damo

Postby Gavin » 27 Apr 2012, 23:12

I think Dalrymple wrote something to this effect in one of his articles:

"Those who profess to care most about humanity often care least about individuals."

If anyone can find the original quote for this I would be most grateful.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Heather » 31 Jul 2012, 00:44

Gavin, there's this. I'm not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for, but it's similar.

Almost every intellectual claims to have the welfare of humanity, and particularly the welfare of the poor, at heart: but since no mass murder takes place without its perpetrators alleging that they are acting for the good of mankind, philanthropic sentiment can plainly take a multiplicity of forms.

In any case, it's a good quote. I don't have the heart to re-read the whole thing. Many of Dalrymple's earlier articles make it difficult for me to sleep at night.
Heather

Postby Gavin » 31 Jul 2012, 10:11

Thanks Heather - that's a good one.

Yes, the pleasure of reading TD is in a small way similar to that of watching a horror film, I think. If you want to be really disturbed, read about things that are actually true and going on right now in our society! There's a lot in his writing besides though, of course - a lot of beautiful prose and profound insight.
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Ian » 02 Aug 2012, 16:22

Dalrymple's evaluations of his opponents' statements aren't particularly profound, but they've provided me with some good laughs. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Can anyone's thoughts and feelings actually correspond to this sentimental drivel?

Public Apologies Are Useless

Halfway through my own reply, however, I suddenly became bored. Why do I spend so much time arguing against such obvious rubbish, which should be both self-refuting and auto-satirizing the moment someone utters it? Why not just go and read a good book?

The Triumph of Reason?
Ian

Postby Gavin » 30 Sep 2012, 20:15

"The idealism of youth, it seems to me, is often a combination of invincible self-righteousness and hypocrisy, liberally admixed with ignorance, incuriosity and a complete absence of imagination or sense of irony."

Small Tumours in the Body Politic
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Gavin » 21 Oct 2012, 12:38

"Multiculturalism rests on the supposition—or better, the dishonest pretense—that all cultures are equal and that no fundamental conflict can arise between the customs, mores, and philosophical outlooks of two different cultures."

Multiculturalism Starts Losing Its Luster
Gavin
Site Admin

Postby Rachel » 10 Dec 2012, 23:24

"The idea that living within your means is a form of austerity, and not (other than in exceptional circumstances) the elementary moral duty of people of honor, shows that, underlying the economic crisis is a profound moral crisis in western society."

From "Talibans of Austerity"

http://libertylawsite.org/2012/10/10/ta ... austerity/
Rachel

Postby Damo » 06 Jan 2013, 13:03

''I sometimes astonish my patients by telling them that it is far more important that they should be able to lose themselves than that they should be able to find themselves. For it is only in losing oneself that one does find oneself''

What does Mr Dalrymple mean when he speaks about losing oneself? Does he mean throwing yourself into your work or family life or study?
Damo

Postby Connor » 10 Jan 2013, 02:22

There is no subject on which people so quickly lose their heads and contradict themselves as race. People who vehemently deny the scientific validity of the concept defend with equal vehemence the necessity for positive discrimination in favour of certain races which, presumably, they are able to distinguish one from another. Anti-racists collect statistics about race with a celerity and obsessional intrusiveness that would have put the apartheid regime to shame. The opposite of a racist is not an anti-racist but someone who does not think in racial categories at all.

Taken from the Blacks Only? post at the Hilarious Pessimist blog.

It's rare that Dalrymple writes directly about race. In this quote, however, I think he pinpoints our society's schizophrenic attitude towards race. I concur that it's the greatest "contradiction" of our day.
Connor

PreviousNext

Return to Theodore Dalrymple