My thoughts on these books

Two books in one, this is a satire on the health and safety culture also including Dalrymple's brilliant novella "So Little Done". Highly recommended.

My thoughts on these books

Postby Gavin » 01 Aug 2011, 21:07

Just briefly, I thought that So Little Done was brilliantly, and chillingly, written (while at the same time being amusing). It was great to see Dalrymple writing some fiction. I have also been reminded of the book recently following the Norway attacks, since here we have a killer going to great lengths to justify their behaviour. Has anybody else read it?

The Examined Life was of course very well written but I found it somewhat tedious. This would be impossible for Dalrymple's writing under normal circumstances, however in this case it was to some degree the point of the book, which is the account, in minescule detail of the life and reasoning of a hypochondriac (or at least an obsessive compulsive).
Gavin
Site Admin

Re: My thoughts on these books

Postby Gavin » 22 Jun 2012, 15:04

Having a look at So Little Done again, it intrigues me to consider how often it is Dalrymple speaking and how often the protagonist. I do not think Dalrymple's opinions are entirely absent from those of the main character, and I would even venture to say that writing in the mode of fiction enabled him to advance some of them freely. What he was doing was showing what happens when those views are taken to extremes.

It is also quite clear that the character, Graham Underwood, is a psychopath. Dalrymple parodies the liberal left culture by having him take advantage of this by explaining that none of his behaviour is actually his own fault.

It's really quite an unsettling book, this one, and so well written. I'd appreciate discussing it with anyone else who has read it. A lot of Underwood's arguments are at least superficially convincing, but I think what Dalrymple says in the end is simply "Is he a nice person?" and the answer is "No".
Gavin
Site Admin

Return to The Examined Life (Aug 2010)