poverty of spirit

Dalrymple discusses literature and ideas, from Shakespeare to Marx and from the breakdown of Islam to the legalisation of drugs.
About this forum
This book is a collection articles. If you'd like to comment on the book as a whole you are welcome to do so here.
If your comment pertains more to a particular article within the book, we ask that you instead either join or create a thread for that article here.

poverty of spirit

Postby Mike W » 29 Sep 2011, 06:11

Hello, I'm a prosecutor in Alaska and have read Our Culture . . , Romancing Opiates and Life at the Bottom. I see the phenomena described by TD every day in my work. In my jurisdiction we have a solid, traditional body of citizens with common sense, who are being led over the falls by a progressive intelligentsia that controls the schools and legal system.
I am also a recovering alcoholic with 15 years of sobriety, and I I believe TD is right about heroin addiction in Romancing Opiates. Our misconceptions about addiction and unwillingness to take meaningful steps to address it in the criminal courts is something I have been trying to address.
I would like to communicate with others on these topics. Thanks.
Mike W

Re: poverty of spirit

Postby Michael » 11 Oct 2011, 01:15

Hi Mike,

I'd be interested in hearing any stories you care to share from your work and observations in Alaska. It's always worthwhile to hear from other people who have observed phenomena similar to one's on which Dalrymple reports.
Michael

Postby Mike W » 18 Oct 2011, 01:28

Michael,

Nice to hear from you. I look forward to finally relating some of these experiences, which I've been contemplating and mulling over for quite some time.
- A young man on probation for dealing heroin is caught burgling, and complains that the state will not provide appropriate treatment for his heroin addiction. To the extent that he may actually contemplate recovery, and is not just running his mouth, this person has learned to externalize the solution to his addiction. The State needs to put him somewhere so things can be done for him, and to him, and be given to him. The lack of that is, to this person, the gist of the "problem." TD discusses this in Romancing Opiates.
However, I know from my own recovery that the actual solution to addiction is changed behavior by the addict, encouraged and reinforced by clear, harsh sanctions for violation. To some degree the addict in successful recovery is an example of "acting oneself into a new way of thinking." Putting that into practice in the system is the key.
- A teenage crime victim appears in my office, with her mother. The meeting is to discuss her grand jury appearance. I politely ask the witness to remove the 15 pieces of metal from her face before she appears in court. Immediate protestations follow by mother and daughter, who have just come from daughter's counseling session. "That's who she is," says Mom, "and she's beautiful"
- the number of able-bodied defendants, victims and witnesses who appear and announce their occupation as "disabled" grows by the day.

to be continued . . .

Mike W
Mike W

Postby Damo » 30 Oct 2011, 15:51

Read this in my sunday newspaper.

He is regarded as the most persistent phone thief in Dublin and is under almost constant surveillance every time he appears in Dublin 1.
He is banned from the area under bail conditions but continues to arrive in the city centre on a bicycle to stalk young women he believes have smartphones.
All the young man's victims are female, mostly young women who are prime targets in the Dublin 1 area, the country's worst location for phone theft or robbery.
All 28 offences have taken place since September last year when he was first arrested.
Like other thieves operating in the city centre, the youth stalks young women until they take out their phones. On most occasions, he simply snatches the phones and escapes without struggle but, on a number of occasions, he has used physical violence, punching and forcing his victims to the ground.

The Children Act of 2001 extended the age of a "child" for purposes of criminal proceedings to 18.

Gardai in Dublin said that it was not uncommon for persistent offenders, approaching their 18th birthday, to present at garda stations with their solicitors, seeking to have all their offences brought together at one hearing before the Children's Court so they can escape imprisonment as an adult.

Youth arrested and released 28 times for phone theft in capital
Damo

Return to Our Culture, What's Left of It: The Mandarins and the Masses (Mar 2007)